Supercars championship leader Scott McLaughlin was surprisingly upstaged by teammate and fellow Kiwi driver Fabian Coulthard in the second race of the Winton Supersprint in Victoria. Ford driver Fabian Coulthard emerged from the shadows to break a 274-day quiet run with victory in Sunday’s Supercars race at Winton Raceway. Nissan rounded out the top five with Rick Kelly and Michael Caruso, both failing to have the pace to join the leading scrap.
Scott Pye continued his strong form with sixth ahead of Tim Slade, Jamie Whincup, lead rookie Richie Stanaway and Chaz Mostert. It was Coulthard’s first victory since triumphing during the Sydney round in August last year, with his best previous result this season being two thirds in Melbourne. He is the eighth different driver to win a race this year from 14 starts.
RESULTS WINTON SUPERSPRINT RACE TWO
- Fabian Coulthard (Shell V-Power) 1:32:22.9780
- Shane van Gisbergen (Red Bull Holden) 1:32:34.0060
- Scott McLaughlin (Shell V-Power) 1:32:41.8960
- Rick Kelly (Nissan) 1:32:48.4004
- Michael Caruso (Nissan) 1:32:49.4607
SUPERCARS CHAMPIONSHIP STANDINGS
- Scott McLaughlin 1487 pts
- Shane van Gisbergen 1356
- Craig Lowndes (Autobarn Lowndes) 1188
- David Reynolds (Erebus Racing) 1169
- Jamie Whincup (Red Bull Holden) 1123