1. The automotive industry needs safe, reliable automated driving in the near future and for this to happen, car manufacturers will require an unfailing, robust and omnipresent wireless network that has extensive coverage, high data transfer speeds, and low latency.
2. 5G will play in wireless vehicle-to-everything communications. The self-driving or autonomous-driving revolution has been coming on strong over the last few years, but this next generation of wireless technology could be the real starting line.
3. 5G aims to implement connectivity that allows vehicles to talk to and learn from each other and to the environment around them – even when they are outside of line of sight.
4. The auto industry has been doing this over the last few years and it is very exciting for the auto maker, the customer and the investor. No longer do customers have to buy new models just to get the newest technology. Now the technology they own for several years will be continually updated.
5. Just like your favorite iPhone or Android, it automatically updates on an ongoing basis. Sure, new models will have new technology, so there will always be added benefit to update the vehicle. However, since we keep our cars longer than we keep our smartphones, it only makes sense to have them be able to update themselves and stay current.
6. Imagine a self-driving car knowing the current traffic gridlock and re-routing the path home, automatically. This will be just one slice of the next generation automobile.
7. This communication will be at rapid 5G speeds over the wireless Internet. This technology will start out in congested cities and expand from there. International standards for Cellular Vehicle-to-Everything communications are currently being developed. The connected car marketplace is a rapidly growing and evolving space.